Thursday, September 2, 2010

I am in HK! Modern Part

I am now in HK, my 3rd day. Finally started understanding way around this city. I have visited here when I was in high school but forgot what it was like. Though it feels a lot modern and international than I remember. Well I am on business trip so I visit many international financial institutions but still, most part of the city looks almost like tokyo. They have cafes like above which feels like New York! More international than Tokyo though...
 There are many new buildings and it does look like New York or Yokohama, bay area of big city. Trains are really clean and convenient, very modern...  so much cleaner than NYC for sure. Although cab drivers don't speak much English so I have to always carry around Chinese address with me so they know. Once they didn't understand the location in English (although I showed them detailed google map!) They had to call a friend who speaks English.. and I had to tell them where I wanted to go. I wish I understand Cantonese. 

It seems like the city is full of young people, at work place too, I wonder if Japan is really aging society and that's why how I feel it. Above photo is the sign saying SALE -65% UP. interesting... I don't have time to hang out in the city besides strolling to next meeting but still find fascinating to see small differences of cultures like this. It's always fun to see different values and cultures! Meeting executives from financial institutions but I definitely feel Asia is very diverse (HK, Taiwan, Korea, China, India, Australia) and I even feel odd to group Asia as Asia now. Each country is very very unique, has very different values, laws, languages.... amazed how diverse Asia is. This is something I cannot feel unless I am actually at the place, so I am happy to be able to feel that with my heart. People are very energetic, optimistic about Asia's future and It is going to be really intriguing to see the growth next coming years.

There are 7 elevens everywhere but smaller version of it compare to Japan. They sell Japanese magazine, don't even translate it. Also they sell many different kinds of milk and soy milk it seems... interesting.

No comments: